Welcome to the official Blood River Heritage Site
The Blood River Heritage site, near Dundee in KwaZulu-Natal, is probably one of the most unique battlefields in South-Africa. On 16 December 1838, 464 Voortrekkers and their servants under command of Andries Pretorius defeated King Dingane’s approximately 10 000 impi under command of Ndlela kaSompisi.
- One of the most unique battlefields in South Africa
- A museum exhibit depicting the history of Blood River
- Unique bronze wagon laager and granite wagon monument
- Exhibit about Zulu culture across the river at the Ncome museum
- DVD show in the information centre about the battle of Blood River, 16 December 1838
The Voortrekker Monument has been managing the site since 2002. Visitors can look forward to an interesting visit to the various monuments on the site and the museum and gift shop. The three star lodge with 4 en-suite bedrooms as well as the Trekker restaurant offers rest and food for body and soul.